Back to Paradise

Share information and opinions even not related with a particular development.

Back to Paradise

Postby yorkie » Thu May 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Not posted for a long time but have just had the internet connected to our apartment in Messambria I thought I would give it a go. Connected to the cheapest, lowest speed but after some teething problems (seems to have been the anti-virussoftware on my laptop) it seems to be perfectly adequate.

Four days into our 2 weeks and we have achieved so much but also not done a lot. Weather has been stunning since we arrived on Sunday and forcast to continue until at least after the week-end. Taking it steady with the rays as we don't want to make everyone too jealous of the tan when we get home!!!! :D

We've seen the dolphins on a few occassions but there does'nt seem to be as many as in previous visits. Maybe they are there but just hiding. Two swans were swimming majestically in the sea early in the week but now there is only one. It seems that it is injured and the other has left to join the rest of the flock. Tried to find out if there is anything like the RSPCA in Bulgaria to look at the injured swan but our complex manager says there is no such thing.

Went into St Vlas yesterday and paid our Municipal Taxes. Although the lady at the pay desk could only speak very limited English (and why should'nt she) and the computer system in the Municipality were down for half an hour, it was all straight forward. The lady could'nt have been more helpful.

Hired a car on Tuesday and went into Bourgas to look for a washing machine. Ended up buying one at Metro and then proceeded to prove the Fort Noks maintenance man wrong by moving our kitchen units around and creating the space for the machine to be fitted. I was told last year that it would be impossible!!!! Whilst in Bourgas we saw a very large Carrefour hypermarket just before you turn into Metro so we popped in to have a look. What we had'nt reallised was that it was not just Carrefour but a brand spanking new shopping Mall. Even M&S had a store!!! Definately a wet weather place to while away a few hours and keep "her in doors" happy.

Already been to Pacos on three evenings for eats and a few drinks. Not sure if we will be allowed back after being so relaxed on Tuesday night that I walked out without paying, went back to our apartment and continued with my kitchen DIY and finally got into bed at 00.35 when Angela asked me how much our evening in Pacos cost. "Oh Sh**!!!, don't know" I replied. Got dressed again and went back to pay up. It probably would have waited till the following day but the greeting from Paco was probably worth the effort and at least I was able to sleep with a clear conscience.

Everything blissfully quiet here, just the way we like it. We're bracing ourselves for next week when we expect to see more people with the school holidays upon us. We are here until 31 May so will try to update if there is anything worth talking about.

Brian & Angela
yorkie

Re: Back to Paradise

Postby thumbsup » Thu May 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Brian & Angela
Thank you for your update .... sounds great! We have just booked a weeks hol in July. It would be the first time we are travelling here with two children aged, 3 & 4. Any tips on places to eat/visit?
Thanks 8)
thumbsup

Postby yorkie » Thu May 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Thumbsup,

Which complex are you staying on in July? It seems to me that you might be paying a few visits to McDonalds with a 3 and 4 year old in tow. Alot will depend on where you are staying and what sort of holiday you are looking for. I'll try to give you some ideas when I know what you like. If any other members of the adventurous kind can chip in with any suggestions, please feel free to join in.

As you might have gathered, we prefer the peace and quiet of early and late season and have also been out in January on 3 occassions. We will be going against our preferrences when I drive out in August with 2 of our daughters, our 2 year old grand-daughter and 11 year old step grand-son. Angela and our son-in-law will be flying out for 2 weeks. No room in the car and they did'nt fancy the drive anyway.

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention on my first post is that Metro and Carrefour now accept debit and credit cards. This was something new from our last trip into Bourgas.

Brian & Angela
yorkie

Postby Conrad » Thu May 21, 2009 8:12 pm

READING COMMENT ABOUT VISIT TO MACDONALDS.
We popped into the macdonalds in the main stip.
Kids happy meal £4. not cheap.
Conrad

Postby Annette & Gordon » Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Yorkie - sounds fantastic out there. We are looking forward to coming back out in June for 2 weeks. You mentioned that you paid your council tax in St Vlas. Where abouts in Vlas? We thought we had to go into Nesseber? Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Cheers, Annette
Annette & Gordon
Annette & Gordon

Postby yorkie » Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Conrad and Annette & Gordon,

Just back from another evening at Pacos. Yes we were allowed back in and met up with several of the ex-pat Brits currently living in BG.

Yes, Conrad, I have to agree that the prices in the Sunny Beach McDonalds are quite steep, certainly by Bulgarian standards. Unfortunately you are paying for the pleasures of Sunny Beach main strip!!!! Much more expensive than the one in Bourgas, along the road from Metro.

Annette, the payment office is in the Municipallity offices in the square, above the bank. Go through the door at the top of the steps leading to the bank, up the stairs to the first floor. In front of you will be 2 doors, you need the right-hand one. Good luck.

Brian
yorkie

Postby finbarrk » Fri May 22, 2009 4:13 pm

McDonalds was the most expensive place we ate in last year in Sunny Beach.
finbarrk

Postby Conrad » Fri May 22, 2009 4:28 pm

There are many lower priced restaurants if you keep clear of yhe main strip area
Conrad

Postby thumbsup » Fri May 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Brian & Angela
We have just booked flights and were hoping to rent an apartment at either HFC or NFC for the week. Thank you for your comments!

yorkie wrote:Hi Thumbsup,

Which complex are you staying on in July? It seems to me that you might be paying a few visits to McDonalds with a 3 and 4 year old in tow. Alot will depend on where you are staying and what sort of holiday you are looking for. I'll try to give you some ideas when I know what you like. If any other members of the adventurous kind can chip in with any suggestions, please feel free to join in.

As you might have gathered, we prefer the peace and quiet of early and late season and have also been out in January on 3 occassions. We will be going against our preferrences when I drive out in August with 2 of our daughters, our 2 year old grand-daughter and 11 year old step grand-son. Angela and our son-in-law will be flying out for 2 weeks. No room in the car and they did'nt fancy the drive anyway.

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention on my first post is that Metro and Carrefour now accept debit and credit cards. This was something new from our last trip into Bourgas.

Brian & Angela
thumbsup

Return to GENERAL