On the Move again

Share information and opinions even not related with a particular development.

On the Move again

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:36 am

Hi All,
Its that time again, house looks like a bomb has hit it, car is serviced and ready to get loaded up for the start
of our Journey over to PFB on Tueseday.
Leaving the Austria - Turkey train out this year due to the price,so heading to BG via Serbia route this year,
with various stop overs on route, come home that way last year with Keith and seems pretty direct so have all
hotels booked via Agoda.com,so hopefuly we should arrive Saturday PM,for the start of another summer season,
lets hope its a good summer for us all.

First stop Willich in Germany, lived there for 8 years so plenty of friends to see and loads of celebrations to
have!!! will let you know how it goes providing we have signals.

Cheers and Happy Hols to you all
Bill & Charlie Burns

Re: On the Move again

Postby Sue and Paul » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 am

Hi Bill and Charlie

Have a safe and fantastic trip over. We have got lots of catching up to do.
Don't forget the Corned Beef for me and the Porridge for Sue.

Paul and Sue
Paul and Sue

www.bestbulgaria4sale.com
Email : paul@bestbulgaria4sale.com
UK FREEPHONE 0800 0664 900
BG: 00359 899 226591
Sue and Paul

Postby Barry Aspden » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:22 am

Good luck Bill & Charlie,
See you in a few weeks. :)

Barry
Barry Aspden

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 am

Hi all,

Well we got here last Saturday, but only just this morning got internet up and running,
if still interested will start posting trip later, fun read it will be for sure !!!!

Cheers
Bill and Charlie
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Well here we go,

Spent alday on monday the 11th April loading, unloading and reloading the car to fit everything in which ranged from oxo cubes to a 22inch tv and a 6ft electric dryer, ( not my idea )anyway ecery gab that was available was filled and we still managed to forget stuff we left out, but its in doors wont open unless we want to pick it all up off the floor, whilst doing the packing and tidying the garden I lost my family crest ring that was bought when me old mum died and apart from emptying car again we checked everywhere and am sure it will turn up once we get to BG and start unloading. after a long night we are for the off at 05-00 tuesday.

Up we get and head off to Euro star on the 06-50 for the first leg of the journey, we decided to head to Willich in Germany where we used to live and visit some friends for the night, it is about 60 miles of our route but as we have not seen them for a year thought it might be nice. Nice !!!!! we got there early which was good for charlie as she could do some shopping, no room in car but she wants some shopping, anyway get to hotel that we and family have used for several years and the owner moves there car out of the garage and lets us use it so no worries tonight about car being broke into.
up to room and get showered ready for a night out, not a good idea i was thinking as these guys love partying, I am Not having any scnapps tonignt Charlie as we have 600 miles todo in the morning and I dont want a hangover for the next few days and we leave early saying we are tired!!!
We meet at 18-00 with 7 of them there ready and waiting and ready to celebrate my 60th some 14 days previous, Damm, beer and fun starts flowing followed by a good meal which was finished about 19-30, god i am full and tired, wrong words , What you need Bill is this scnapps its good for being bloated and will wake you up, wake me up it blew me head off and made instant heat around me eyes and forehead, much to there amusement, trouble was I have now had about 7 glasses of beer and dont give a monkeys now, so we go onto a scnapps session with charlie saying Bill you said!!! what I say and can do is not good , we end up staying till around 23-00 and thank god they all had to be at work by 07-00 the next day so we said our goodbyes and off we headed back to the hotel which was some 60 mtr away for a good sleep. What time shall we leave in morning Bill, lets see how we both feel and have breakfast first.
Run out of Page so part 2 later
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Its wed and we wake at around 07-00 after a pretty good nights sleep, with what we had to drink the night before it was more like a induced sleep, i open one eye and think Bill this is not good and this was confirmed when I opened the other, damm that was heavy last night charlie why did you not stop me!!!!!! not repeating the reply.Anyway onwards and upwards we need to hit the road as we are heading to Graz in Austria some 600 miles away, we are on our way by 08-30 right in the middle of rush hour, journey was abit slow for the first 100 or so KMs but then all clear really, quite a lot of major road works going on esp around Frankfurt but no major hold ups, just a long drive which is not the best at any time let alone when you have a scnapps head on, but i wont give in. weather all the way through was pretty good, slight rain but nothing too serious that it held us up until we start going through the tunnels in austria.
One of the things i bought in the UK this year because of the bad weather and writeing my car off in the snow was some snow chains, always a good idea to buy them before the snow and not after, just a little bit of useless info, also a better idea is too pack them if going on a long spring journey as when we come out of one of the tunnels we hit a bloody blizard with the snow settling, oh this is great we leave germany in the sun I have shorts on and we are going to get stuck in a bloody blizard am i good or wot!! Thankfully it did not come to much and by time we got to Graz it was just cold, pulled up outside hotel around 19-30 got out of car and everyone is starring they are all in ear muffs and scarfs and theres me like a spanish tourest, we end up in our room with car parked in secure parking, so quick change and head off for dinner and a beer or so.
we booked all our hotels via Agoda.com and again they done us well. we head to the bar/restuarant and order a few beers then dinner, the problem we found was that due to the £ being not its best the prices were very ott and would not stay in the hotel again as with room and evening meal worked out around 180 euro but was still enjoyed, after a few beers its off to bed for the start of the journey that we will need to consentrate as we are heading into eastern europe and not sure what to exspect, our next stop will be Niz in Serbia some 500 miles away and with roads not the best.
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:00 am

Thursday morning and we are up about 06-30 after a pretty good nights sleep, shall we rest a bit longer or get on our toes for the next part of our journey, which could be long if borders are slow so we decided to shower and get ready, we phone reception to see what time breakfast starts only to be informed that you now have to pay an extra 15 euro each for breakfast, did not see that when we booked, my fault should have checked so it worked out in 5 months the price has gone up 45 euro so we will rub that off our list of good hotels to stay in and tell the reception to stuff the breakfast, we get the car, load it up and head off for croatia.
Journey onto motorway takes about 20mins and then we are off on a straight run, about 1 hour later we get to the border, we have already bought the road tax for 1 week so no need to stop, passports checked and off we go, journey through croatia is very short but what a nice place and worth a stay maybe on our return, after about 1 hour we are entering slovakia, wait at border for about 10mins passport stamped and off we go heading towards serbia border, roads very good and the whole place so clean puts uk to shame, we stop for fuel at a major service staion and use the toilets, very clean which again puts us to shame, Fuel throughout europe has stayed pretty constant and costing around £1-10 for derv, the car is averaging 38 mpg with a speed of average 78mph so well pleased with it all, nothing exciting going on so cruise control set and ipod on and off we are again.
Getting nearer to the serbian border you start to see things changeing and getting poorer, we arive at the border around 14-00 bit of a delay of about 30 mins whilst they search and check people and cars, our turn and we are thinking this is it they will have all there birthdays in one we they see what we have on board so we brace ourselves for the worst, we pull up to this very stern looking guy at customs, so my london charm comes out of the cupboard, Good Afternoon SIR!! I say, anything to declare he says, no SIR!! it is all our own goods for our app; are you sure, Yes SIR!! passport stamped and of we go, god i am full of sh-- when needed, Charlie just looks on at smiles at her idol ME!!.
We have about 120 miles to go before we get to Niz for our overnight stay, so head down and offwe go until we reach a very old and crazy town Beograd road works everywhere, Kieth warned us but did not think it was going to be so crazy, people think the new road to S/Beach is bad this is mental and cars heading everywhere but the right way, anyway after about 45mins we head onto the open road again, although very poor roads we still manage to reach good speeds, Tomtom is working great and not let us down once yet and lets you know the speed limits so you are always aware of speeding. After about 10 mins outside Beograd we have a BMW on german plates start flashing us down, thankfully I was aware of this sort of thing and it also happens in UK.
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:20 am

Although Charlie was getting nervious and to be honest i dont blame her i would have done also but the old adrenaline was pumping, the car then pulls in front and trys to slow us down and also put his arm out to tell us to pull over, we start slowing down and i am keeping a eye behind me also just incase they are teamed up, then just like a lion i hit the pedal and basicly f--k off and leave him standing on the hard shoulder, which was some relief i must say. Dont get put off by this if you are driving over just be aware, must admit it was easier when we travelled back with Keith and crew, knowing you had someone else nearby, but we got through and headed to our hotel. Arrived in Niz around 17-00 a really old town in need of loving, but full of modern shops and bars plus a buzz of people chilling and enjoying life, our hotel is in the city centre down a little ally way, you sure about this we think, anyway we go in to this old building into the lift to 4th floor and open our door, OMG wot a room it is immaculate with a!! which must be a 7ft bed and outstandingly clean.
We unpack and head down stairs to have a walk as we are both aching from the journey, me in my shorts again and a fleece on, well the looks are better than when we arrived in austria as these people are wrapped up and sitting outside bars with the heaters on and we are walking round sunbathing.
By now it is around 18-30 so we are starting to flack a little so we head back to the hotel for a few beers and dinner before retireing to bed around 21-30, meal was basic but good beer was excellent, once up stairs quick shower and in bed falling asleep almost instantly.
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:10 am

Friday the 15th

We wake early after a good sleep, but am now concerned for the next leg of the journey, although only 200 mile today we have the serbia and bulgarian borders to cross and you herar so many different stories so we are prepareing for the worst and that is car being emptied and or haveing stuff taken or pay duty!!! only time will tell, we head for breakfast first in the hotel a very very basic layou but am not all that hungry and you dont get offered tea or coffee, so slurp of juice then pay the bill and make off to the border, we leave just before 08-00 so traffic in town is still light but getting busy, after about 30 mins we are onto the main drag to BG, within the hour we are at the border and the old rear end is now twitching a little as the unknown is worst than knowing, we pull upat the serberian exit border and there are about 6 cars in front, 2 get pulled over and are searched ( both are on foregien plates) now our turn, guy looks at passports and the entry card we left in of hotel and waves us through, this is a result but dont lets get carried away we now have BG to enter, get to the border crossing there is a van and closed trailer and a MPV carrier in front of us being search, both have part loads out and are being made to pay some from of tax.
We pull up to the gate on my side, we hand over our pasports and BG ID cards, thinking this will help!!!hand them to the guy in the booth and he seems to take ages studying them then says Elenite uh!!! I lived in the village of Vlas 10 years ago have a good and safe trip he nods to the guys out side and we get waved through, Is that a result or wot they never even asked wot we had on board, you can imagine we have a grin from ear to ear, next stop Sofia to hotel to go on the lash and celebrate and now our holiday starts.

We arrrive at our hotel around 13-00 sign in and up to the room, Best western have stayed here before, nice staff, very clean hotel and secure parking,get to room and sun is blazing through the sealed windows, room is very hot and air-con is switch off for the winter so we decided to go out and tour the shops whilst sun move round.
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:30 am

we go to this amazing shopping mail, which makes the carrafor one in burgas seem cheap, we head straight for vivacom to get internet turned on,not a problem new modem given and told it will be on monday, thats a result saves us going to SB plus we got a new contract at a cheaper rate so thats a result,and it will be on earlier, next into global to get phones re-connected done whilst we wait so things are looking good, after a walk about we decide its time for a siesta so head of back to hotel, we get upto the room and the place is like an oven, so we ring reception and they come up only to tell us that the heating in the hotel is stuck on on and cannot be turned off at present, damm it is so hot so we wedge front door open so air can flow in and jump into bed for a sleep, some 45 mins later i wake up 4 kilos lighter and soaking wet, so after a descussion we head for the bar for a few well earned beers and to talk about our journey over and the laughs we had on route, better still to mull over how lucky we were getting over borders so easy.
by now its around 18-30 so beer is making the head buzz and belly is rumbling so off to the resturant, meal was pretty good washed down with a few beers then upto the room for a well earned sleep ready for the last approx 200 mile of journey to SB and start unloading car.
fell asleep straight away but then the room got hotter and hotter and all throught the night we were tossing and turning, by 05-00 you could not breathe as room has reach max temp and floor is hot from units down below, so by 06-00 we decided we might as well get up and go as you could not handle it much longer.
went down to reception and complained on payout, but the guy was only night staff and could do very little apart from not charging for the water we drank in the room and giving a packed breakfast as kitchen was not open till 07-30, he did however promise to pass our complaint on,whether he does or not will be sen, its a shame as the hotel is very good and we were looking forward to the first relaxing night since leaving home 4 days earlier, but hey we got time to catch up when we arrive at our app;
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 am

We leave sofia at 06-45 with temp of -3, me in short and baking hot from hotel it was great sunroof oppen and ice forming on windows inside car. within 10 miles of leaving sofia we encounter our first speed check, lucky for us we have done this journey a couple of times now and know that the road is bad for this so keep a check on speed and try to stay behind a BG driver as they seem to know where they stand, road is pretty clear all the way through but there were at least 10 radar checks on route.
We arrive in SB at around midday and stop off at penny market for some fresh food then head off to our app.
As luck would have it when we arrive poor old Kath was walking down and got roped into helping us unload with the assistance of Keith as well, must admit it was a very big welcome and nice to see the guys and even better having them help unload, downside of it all was the ring i lost and had hoped was in the car has not been found so am gutted about that.
The last week we have been packing stuff away and trying to get sorted, have managed a few meals out with people and a heavy 50th birthday session for Hez + in pacos, must admit it was like the old days in pacos where everyone was enjoying there selves to the full a great evening and the start of many more we hope.
Internet did not get on till thursday this week but all sorted now, Email from Best western with an aplogie and the offer of a free night in a Excutive suite on our return which is a nice result.
Must admit the drive took its toll on our bodies but will do it again and may spread another day into it or use the train again as the price of euro being up cost us around 1000 euro,but with what we bought across made it worth while really plus we have the car for the duration of our stay.
Complex is looking good, walked round S/B yesterday and quite a buzz in there with many BGs enjoying the easter break, quite a few resturants / shops opended and opening.
be careful down the main strip at moment as they are replacing a lot of the walkway and has lots of areas that are lose or lifted.
well thats our bit of news till we leave again end of the year if all goes well.
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby tomhoneyman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:22 am

I need a lie-down just reading it!!!! Have a good time, should be out in about a month! x
tomhoneyman

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Look forward to it Tom, hope you bring the UK sun with you though mate.

Cheers C/B x
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:01 am

Well hear we are some 5mths into our summer break and the end of the summer loaming and winter heading in, but weather is still good and worth the staying on although lots closed or closing which is such a shame as you could get another month of a season at least out of it.
In the time we have been here we have had some great times and seen a few changes this year, some for the best and some for the worse,also met up with some great people and had some really enjoyable sessions both out and about and sitting on the terrace having PIMMS Oclock days, really funny and even managed to get 2 asbos in one night so have had to behave incase we got red card!!!!
Parking was looking at being a major problem at PFB but was resolved by the girls in FN office and H/O, will have to wait and see what hapens next year though as there are more and more people driving over and not just from UK but eastern europe also, have heard rummours of addional parking being sorted but have not had it confirmed ourselves so will wait and see.
Pound has not been great this year but the cost of living is still a hell of a lot better than UK and still worth the visit, and with all the new supermarkets opening there is not such a need too load up with stuff, the new s/market on the waste land by PFB has been a great help and although slightly dearer it is still cheaper than going to Vlas to by stuff and alot quicker, Aldi is up and running on outskirts of sunny beach and stocks loads of gear that you would buy in UK so another asset although you need a car to get there or a cab cost around 50 leva rtn, but if there are a few of you and you stock up for duration of holiday well worth it.
Went on a walk about earlier in the season at around 06-45 along top road leading to royal park and was confronted with a face to face situation with a full grown wild boar!!!! jesus i dont know who was more scarred me or him, we looked at each other and i said F== this and done a quick about turn and thank god he did the same although i think he would have one, when i get back to the app,Charlie says what a shame you did not get a picture!!!! picture i says you can take a photo of me underwear if you want proof, hence to say that route is now off my daily walk routine.
Bill & Charlie Burns

Postby Bill & Charlie Burns » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:33 am

Well today is the day, for the return.
Car packed and heading off around 10.30 for the first leg of the trip to Sofia where we take the offer of a free night in the Best Western exc; suite, were i dare say we will taste the local produces before retireing for what we hope will be a good nights sleep, then meet out Trail Boss and his side kick at the shell station near the Serbia border.
We have planned a few night stops before parting in Germany where me and Charlie will carry on partying with our german friends, well you must make the effort.
Dare say we will have a few tales to tell, but wont be back till next sunday at least, but will keep you posted.

By the way the weather is changing so its the right thing todo
Bill & Charlie Burns

Next

Return to GENERAL